7 May 2017

Why to go to formal (by someone who didn't)

Formal or Prom or Ball or whatever your country calls it- most schools have one of these great big dances- and most people are excited to go.



Personally, I spent weeks deliberating- it was so expensive, but more than that, I didn't really get the point. Anything else organised by the school seemed to prompt a mass outbreak of "whatever-illness-gets-me-out-of-it", but somehow- this was the event of the year? I like dressing up, I like dancing, I don't like worrying about what car to arrive in or listening to very stressed teachers and students talk about rules and logistical difficulties for weeks on end- so I decided not to go, and subsequently give myself an excuse to ignore all their incessant babble.

At the time, I tried to look up online and find out what made this party so special- why couldn't I comprehend everyone else's enthusiasm? While I definitely don't regret my decision, I think I perhaps finally understand a few of their reasons...

First, it's a chance to feel like a serious grownup for (probably) the first time- with hair and makeup and heels and doing adult things like eating meals with multiple courses with other individuals of a similar age... and growing up is kind of thrilling.

Also, you also get to look really beautiful and be surrounded by a bunch of people who know that's exactly what you're aiming for, in a space where it's ok to compliment everyone- that's the whole idea.

But, most importantly, I think the truly unique thing about one of these events, is that for probably the only time in your entire life, you'll be having a celebration with a bunch of people where you practically know everyone- and you're all celebrating each other. Most parties in life have some sort of focus- it's a birthday or a couple's anniversary or someone's achieved some major life goal... and the party is just about them. This is probably the only time when everyone is celebrating the fact that everyone else there simply exists and they're all pretty rad, and they've all made it this far in life....

and actually, that's actually kinda neat.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment